This isn’t meant to be a morbid post, but rather a reflection on the direction I want my life to take, written down. I am a big believer in writing down my goals, looking at them, and re-evaluating them until I can achieve them. Did you know that you are 70% MORE likely to achieve a goal, JUST by writing it down? It makes very specific connections in the brain, and makes the goal all the more real. We are a lot less likely to let ourselves down, especially when we take the time to draft our dreams.
So here is a list of things that I want to accomplish in my lifetime. Not a bucket-list -you won’t find “climb Mt. Everest” on this list. What do you hope to achieve before you leave this world?
- I want to know that I have made a difference in someone’s life. I would hope that as a mom I will impact my kids’ lives. But more than that, I want to be able to make a tangible difference in the lives of others. I think life has more meaning when we can think of others, and have a heart that wants to serve.
- I want to leave a legacy for my kids. I want to have built an empire of strong, dedicated, hard-working men and women that are determined to change the lives of others. An empire that my kids will be proud to be a part of, and honored to carry on. When I started my business, I wasn’t sure where it would go, but the longer I work and push for this, the more I feel that this is an actual possibility. There is magic in starting something from the ground up, and putting your blood, sweat and tears into it. I want my children to know that this is possible and strive for that.
- I want to be able to cure myself of self-image issues. Self-image is something all females deal with at some point in their lives, but unfortunately for me, this obsession and disease took on a life of its own for many years. While I am now in a better place than before, I am still too hard on myself. I want this part of my brain to turn off, and to teach my daughter to be happy in her skin, however she looks.
- I want to learn to play an instrument. I have dabbled with several instruments as a kid, but stuck with none of them. I really want to learn one and teach the love of music to my children. Music is a direct channel into my heart, and plays a huge role in my life. Being able to play the music that I love is a dream of mine.
- I want to be able to say that I have saved a substantial amount of money. My husband and I are terrible, I mean terrible at saving money. I have a savings account, and I keep re-naming it, “Play Money”, “Vacation fund”, “Christmas fund”, but none motivate me to consistently put money in this account. I want to learn to respect money and be disciplined enough to save it.
- I want to have raised kind, confident and independent humans. When it comes right down to it, I don’t care what my kids choose to do with their lives, so long as they are kind to others, value education, and can stand on their own two feet. Independence is something that I longed for since I was 13 years old, and I want my children to desire that as well. I want them to fear nothing, and have a desire to change the world.
- I want to improve my handwriting. Since I learned how to write-and by the way, whoever graded me at that time, and said, “Yep, she can write!”, screwed me. My handwriting is atrocious. Part of the problem is that I get impatient and want to get my thoughts out faster than my fingers can write the words. I want to change that and have handwriting that anyone can interpret.